 Technic / 14837
Re: Pneumatic Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:06:19 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Andrew Meyer wrote:
I am comtemplating the purchase of one of those one-way valves from the old
pneumatic sets. I was wondering, if you set up a system in which one tank was
pressure and one was vacuum, and applied both to a 2-cyl engine, would it turn
with more power than a regular engine? What I mean to describe is an engine that
is similar to the 90d phase shift 2 cyl engine that you can find on Dr. C.S.
Soh's pneumatics page, reworked so that when one side of a cylinder had pressure
applied, the other would be connected to vacuum. I realise this would involve
two switches per cyl, instead of one, which is why I am asking in the first
place. Would the extra power from the cyl be enough to drive the extra
resistance of the added switches, and end up with more power than a traditional
engine, or would I be better off just sticking to the traditional engine and
just feeding it more air faster? Sorry if this post is confusing, I am writing
it at 21:35 CST, and I've had the month of my life this week. Five days without
sleep...

Andrew Meyer

This is a good question.

When using traditional pressure only, the force producde by the air pressure on
the faces of the pistons is enough to flip a switch.

Just yesterday someone asked me "If instead of using pressure, you used vaccume"
would your walker walk backwards.  I'd never thought of this, but it sounds like
an interesting concept.  My initial reaction was that there would phase issues
that would prevent this from working.

But you are talking about a different case.  Lets ask a slightly different
question than yours.  Could I make a pneumatic engine like Dr. Soh's that runs
purely on vaccume?  I think the answer is yes.

So the pressure half of the engine has enough power to flip one switch, and the
vaccume half of the engine has enough power to flip another switch.  Combined
then, it would seem that you could make both switches flip.

Let us know how it turns out!

Kev