 Star Wars / 7642
Re: TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:48:04 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Dave Schuler writes:
[snipped]

I don't remember much emotion in ANH...

Same as above--if anything, TPM is worse for its lack of emotion because
Lucas should have learned from his previous errors and developed the
characters more in the later film.

I wasn't attempting to say that TPM could get away with it's lack of emotion,
I was simply trying to point out that another film (ANH), which is touted as
being excellent, shares the same flaws.  It's a double standard to claim that
the first SW films were great but to dog TPM because of said flaws.

Besides, I liked the two-headed announcer.

Are you silly?

Yes.  I think the two-headed announcer added whimsy to the scene... something
which I appreciate.

The "heros" have to be placed in
escapeable situations, otherwise they can't escape.  Besides, these things
happen in real life... take for instance some actions taken in WWII...

No, let's not.  Real life is no excuse for bad drama, because Lucas was in
full command of the script from day one and could avoid these "oops I didn't
think of that" situations.  History abounds with retrospectively poor choices,
but TPM isn't a history lesson--it's a work of fiction which should have been
constructed to maximize its dramatic value.

A perfect story without poor choices on the part of the bad guys would be
boring.  The first time a good guy slips up the bad guy would win and the
movie would be over.  It would be even worse if the good guy couldn't make
mistakes either...

There's alot of things in alot of films that could bother me... but I try not
to analyze them that way. It's not my job after all, I'm not a movie critic.

Actually, since you're one of the people funding George's billions, you
*are* a critic, especially since you've entered thoughtful discussion of the
film.

Allow me to rephrase; I don't put my brain on hold when I watch the film, but
I don't look for or worry about little errors.  I take in the film as a whole
work and reserve my judgement for the final product.  In essence, I don't
judge a book by it's cover.

Let me say for the record that I preferred TPM to Jedi.  I don't buy the
"high expectations" argument, because I've gotten pretty good at suspending
final judgment on works until I've seen or read them.

Good.  You make many valid arguments against TPM, but it doesn't change my
point of view.  It all comes down to a difference of opinion, and without
those differences life would be boring.  While I happen to think Lucas did an
excellent job on this film, I have to agree that some things could have been
done differently to come up with a better movie...  That said, I won't allow
those things to detract from my enjoyment of the film.

    Dave!

-Bryan