 Star Wars / 7651
Re: TPM RULES (long reply, skip if you're in a hurry...:)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 15:55:17 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:

I wasn't attempting to say that TPM could get away with it's lack of emotion,
I was simply trying to point out that another film (ANH), which is touted as
being excellent, shares the same flaws.  It's a double standard to claim that
the first SW films were great but to dog TPM because of said flaws.

  Fair enough.  I haven't made this clear, but I'd criticize the original
trilogy for the same sorts of things I find in TPM.

Besides, I liked the two-headed announcer.

Are you silly?

Yes.  I think the two-headed announcer added whimsy to the scene... something
which I appreciate.

  I don't know.  I didn't care for the "cartoony" feel of the pod race
sequence, from the humpty-dumpty-style pilot to the laff-a-lympics announcer.
Personal taste, perhaps, but I don't think there's a similiarly cartoony
sequence anywhere else in the quadrilogy (though the Ewoks are really pushing
it.  Now that I think about it, Chewie's Tarzan yell in RotJ is pretty awful,
too.)

A perfect story without poor choices on the part of the bad guys would be
boring.  The first time a good guy slips up the bad guy would win and the
movie would be over.  It would be even worse if the good guy couldn't make
mistakes either...

  They can both make mistakes, but mistakes don't have to be huge and fatal to
drive the story forward; subtle but significant mistakes can have greater and
more interesting impact upon a story.  In fact, if the villain's fatal flaw is
that at some point he's going to screw up royally, then you might as well not
watch the melodrama unfold.  If, on the other hand, the villian is a complex
character undone by a series of mistakes and unfortunate circumstances, the
story--and the character--can be much more interesting.

Allow me to rephrase; I don't put my brain on hold when I watch the film, but
I don't look for or worry about little errors.  I take in the film as a whole
work and reserve my judgement for the final product.

  I'm not worried about little errors, either--it's the glaring plot problems
that bother me!  8^)
  If, by "final product" you mean the six films after completion, then maybe I
can see what you're getting at.  If you're referring to TPM in itself, then my
critiques stand.

In essence, I don't judge a book by it's cover.

  Neither do I; it's not as though I saw the poster and decided the plot was
weak.  I viewed it several times and evaluated what I saw.

     Dave!