 Star Wars / 7550
7549  |  7551
Subject:
TPM Rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 03:08:48 GMT

Yes, Jar Jar sucks. Yes, the Neimoidians are irritating, goofy, and would have
been 100 times better with Jabba-esque subtitles. But... let's look at what
George did right.

1. Darth Maul: one of the coolest characters in any of the SW films. Just in
the movie long enough to really frighten you, but short enough to make every
second of his screen time something special.

2. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan flinging the battle droids against the wall. Utterly
cool.

3. Amidala's costumes and voice. "I was not elected to watch my people suffer
and die..." etc. Unbelievably cool.

4. Watto: a classic SW character. These moments in the shop with Watto remind
my of Luke's first meeting with Yoda. They are pure delight.

5. The pod race. Anybody who didn't think that was cool should stop being a
Star Wars fan right now and go home.

6. The Senate.

7. Darth Maul, when he goes whipping straight down that cliff in his speeder
and then backflips off it to battle Qui-Gon.

8. The droid control ship is pretty darn cool-looking when it blows up.

9. The sounds of the AAT and MTTs as they rumble over the hills.

10. The final lightsaber battle is the best lightsaber battle of all four
films.

11. Ewan McGregor. Best casting decision George has made since Harrison Ford.
Can't wait to see Obi-Wan in 2 & 3.

12. Natalie.... she's dreamy.

I could go on for hours.

To all you TPM naysayers... I say go see the movie again. This time go in
without a bee in your bonnet. Look at the things that are truly wonderful and
Star Wars about the movie, because they ARE plentiful.

- Thaddeus (who likes TPM a lot.)

http://myweb.mortimer.com/~tjantzi/lego.html