 Star Wars / 2612
Re: Titanic, was Lego Mania Magazine (minor spoilage)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 20:23:48 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Benz writes:
Hi,
I must agree about Titanic, it is near-great if not great.  We didn't see it
until May, 6 months after release, and it was much better than I expected.
There were characters you got to know, great effects, some humor, and only a
couple of lame parts, like the "flying" at the bow, and being chained to a
desk with the water rising. But in general I'd say it as at least an 8 of
10.

TPM on the other hand also has stupendous effect, but generally lame dialog
and many background distractions, maybe on purpose so you would forget the
characters?  I'd give it a 6 of 10, where the previous 3 would all be
higher.

IMO the question should be, "Was it entertaining?" rather than, "Was it a good
movie?" I found it to be very entertaining.

Titanic was a sad movie, but there were times when I felt the movie's
manipulation.

TPM also had that to a degree when Anakin's mother asked him about what his
heart felt about seeing her again. Certainly the scene was important. Yet I had
mixed feelings about the whole idea of Anakin's departure. I thought that it
wouldn't have been that easy for a mother to give up her child, freeman or
slave. I expected more "momliness", more emotion, and more of struggle to let
her child go (maybe that's just a reflection of my own mom though).

I found myself wanting to like the Jedi more, but couldn't. As a group, only
Qui-Gon (and later Kenobi) seemed to realize somewhat of the potential that
hung in the balance. Granted, Yoda was never meant to be a warm-fuzzy
personality, I would think that such a "commodity" (even as recognized by Yoda)
as Anakin must not be left unguarded, especially not in that very unstable time
frame. I don't leave an unguarded tank of jet fuel lying around in a time of
war.

-Tom McD.
when replying,