 Star Wars / 2613
Re: OK, here's a ? for you
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 21:32:06 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, s.a.campbell@larc.nasa.gov (Steve Campbell) writes:
Spoilerage to follow:

So if Darth Vader and Darth Maul are these awesome Sith dudes with the
power of the Dark Side of the force how come they keep getting surprised?

Hmm, prolly 'cause seeing into the future is difficult.  And if they can
sense their opponents' thoughts to some extent and anticipate what they're
going to do, surely their opponents can fake them out by thinking in
multiple directions at once.

In Ep5:ESB even I could tell that Luke was going to jump down the shaft.
Does that mean the force is strong in me?  Are my medichlorian levels
higher than yours?  I think not.

I don't think Vader was all that surprised when Luke jumped.  Disappointed,
but not surprised (or really worried).

So why doesn't Vader just use the force and grab him out of mid air?

He's patient.  The Sith are extremely patient.  It was all a setup for
Luke as an attempt to get him to start down the dark path.  It didn't
ultimately work, of course, but it was far more powerful to let Luke escape
and think about things than it would have been to recapture him.

He had already demonstrated the
ability to handle the weight while he was flying around during the duel.
So what up wit dat?

Well, it's probably infinitely easier to force-manipulate inanimate objects
than to force-manipulate another force-sensitive being.

(and the Emperor - "Mr. Dark Side" 3319 - oops i'm falling and even
though I am, and have been for a long, long time, a master of the force,
I cannot save myself by flipping through the air or flying or any of
those other things you've already seen on-screen.  I guess I'll just
ignite on contact.  Goof thing I didn't trip on my robe earlier...)

I think the Emperor was already near-fatally stunned at that point, when
Vader picked him up -- he was a victim of his own energy rays, which Vader
helped deflect away from Luke and back upon himself and the Emperor.

Same thing with Maul:
"Imona kill you, Imona kill you, Imo- oh.  You've jumped up, grabbed the
sword that I carelessly left laying around and cut me in half while i
watched.  Darn."

I think the stunned/puzzled/confused look on Maul's face (even before Obi-
Wan jumps up) is Maul sensing his demise and being totally shocked by it.
Just moments before, he had been teasing Obi-Wan with his lightsaber, and he
thought he'd won.

ObLego:  I must confess that I too thought that thought about "now we
can truly recreate the death of Darth Maul" as his black/black legs and
black w/ gray folds/black hands torso went their separate ways...

He's not half the man he used to be.  ;-)

--Todd