 Star Wars / 16063
Re: Lando minifig picutre HERE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:55:32 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Michael Bosch wrote:
   After reading the posts, perhaps the issue is no longer “Does yellow=white?” but rather, “Why aren’t there more people of color in the mainstream media?” If we had a Star Wars-type franchise that was evenly distributed among White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, etc, that LEGO decided to buy into, I think LEGO would have released minifigs in “real” skin tones. But, seeing as how a black actor didn’t enter into the original trilogy untill Lando, and only had the minor role of Capt Panaka in Ep I, race wasn’t a big factor in regards to minifigs. And Windu is the only other black actor that I can think of that would warrant a minifig. I doubt very much whether Bail Organa/Jimmy Smits would have one unless he’s in some ultra-important/pivotal scene.

But because we have a whopping two black actors worthy of minifig status, LEGO probably didn’t even think about. We’re probably looking at an exception to the rule based on demand and notoriety.

Thank you. ;)

Mike

Aren’t you forgetting about a minor character who popped up in the first few movies by the name of Darth Vader?

Personally, I think you guys have too much time on your hands. Instead of being happy that LEGO is becoming a more culturally diverse toy, people have to make a huge fuss about this. Maybe we should just go back to the good old days when all bricks were either white or red, and figs themselves existed only in a child’s imagination.

- Chris.