 Star Wars / 16050
Re: Lando minifig picutre HERE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:53:19 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Tim Romine wrote:

I am worried that the "race card" being played here, even with the best of
intentions, is, ultimately, going to hurt new LEGO releases.

Tim, the color-blind optimist.

It's important to understand that the "race-card" was played a long time ago.  A
bunch of pale danes sat around a room and decided what primary color would work
best as a "flesh" tone.  They looked at each other and the choice was
ethno-centric.  They weren't color-blind, just typically insensitive (or not
forward-looking enough).  Having painted themselves into a corner, they kept it
up until they had to face reality with the NBA.  The trouble was, they needed to
make that decision a wee bit earlier for representing any specific person for
Star Wars and Harry Potter, because they faced the two rotten choices of keeping
up the pretense and facing a possible outcry by the black community if they came
out with a yellow Lando (or none at all, which is what they tried to get away
with for as long as they could, which was perhaps worse), or proving the lie in
their own rational by making a brown Lando.  It was a train wreck destined to
happen.

->Bruce<--