 Star Wars / 16049
Re: Lando minifig picutre HERE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:11:07 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.starwars, Kevin Loch wrote:
Brad spoke to this at the BrickFest Q&A session.  The NBA
minifigures depict actual people.  For the most realistic
effect, they were made with dark or light skin colors,
just like the real people they are modeled after.
Generic (yellow) minigures represent no specific person
or color of skin.  It is up to the imagination of the
individual as to what color they are.

The NBA situation is easy to figure out on the fact that they include not
only the first black minifigs, but also the first white ones.  If people
complained that there weren't any black minifigs in the regular sets, you
could finally point to the NBA 3-packs and show evidence that there aren't
any white ones either.  As much as I wanted a black Lando, I know this is
going to cause a lot of problems for them.  Already FBTB has a few people who
are cluttering their forums with complaints that Lando isn't "minifig
colored" (i.e. yellow), and that they don't know if they can continue to buy
SW sets because of this.  On the other end of the irrationality spectrum will
be the people who argue that since the one SW minifig who represents a black
person was made with brown plastic, and all of the SW minifigs who represent
white people were made with yellow plastic, then obviously TLC intends for
yellow=white, and thus all LEGO sets are multiracially devoid.  My personal
stance on it is that the "everyone is yellow" arguement worked fine until
1999, when the SW series was first introduced.  If they had gone the same
route they did with the NBA 3-packs (i.e. generic spaceman is of
indeterminate race and is produced in yellow, while Luke Skywalker is clearly
white and is produced in pink/beige), there wouldn't be any problem with
producing Lando in brown plastic, since you could point at the SW series and
show proof that in the SW universe, yellow minifigs do not represent white
people.

Excellent idea (I wish they had done this, in fact), but I don't think the
problem really revealed itself until people started begging for a "black" Lando
fig.  Luke and most of the main characters had already been released by then, so
there was no way to fix this.

My guess is that everyone at TLC is so used to thinking in terms of all
minifigs being yellow that noone even considered this eventual problem when
starting up the line in 1999.  After the first wave of sets were released,
they were effectively stuck with having yellow minifigs in the SW universe,
and three equally displeasing choices on how to deal with the issue of Lando
minifigs. They could produce him in the same yellow as everyone else...and
risk disenchanting the vast majority of SW fans who collect the series only
because it's SW.  They could produce him in brown...and unintentionally
create the yellow=white association, while also disenchanting all of the LEGO
traditionalists who fully invested themselves into the yellow=everone mantra.
Or they could skip Lando entirely...and risk pissing off pretty much everyone
except white supremecists.  Obviously the last choice isn't the best way to
go. The United States became the world's largest consumer of LEGO product
about the time that the SW sets were first released, which means that,
especially where the SW series is concerned, special attention has to be paid
to how sales in the US will be affected.  And quite frankly, in a society
that has been watching The Simpsons (where yellow=white) for 16 years, the
argument that yellow=everyone doesn't fly very well.  Yes, odd as it may
sound, this entire situation might have been unknowingly decided by a
moderately successful British comedienne's variety show.

LOL!  that's probably the most logical argument/explanation I've read yet;  the
Uhlmann-Simpsons theorem...

Personally, I don't really think there's a race issue with LEGO at all.  I just
think that all the other characters looked good enough in yellow (which was
easier and cheaper to do), but Lando would NOT have looked good enough in
yellow.  If anyone wants to get nasty about the race issue, they'll do it no
matter what excuse you give them (After all,  Billy Dee is not really as dark
brown as the color TLC used anyway).  Personally, I look at it as an experiment
with releasing a test case Star Wars minifig with custom skin color, and I hope
they do it a lot more!  I think TLC is trying to improve the quality of their
product, and with the response they're getting from here, they may decide NOT to
make any new parts or parts-color-combinations.

I am worried that the "race card" being played here, even with the best of
intentions, is, ultimately, going to hurt new LEGO releases.

Tim, the color-blind optimist.