 Star Wars / 16059
Re: Lando minifig picutre HERE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:12:40 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Tim Romine wrote:

   I disagree with your assumptions. When LEGO first made any attempt at Lego “people”, they had very few colors to choose from. Yellow was probably the best looking one available at the time. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I just don’t believe there was any racial motivation in the original color choice.

You assume incorrectly about what you think are my assumptions. “...what primary color would work best a “flesh” tone.” I covered that. Nor did I say that there was any overt racial motivation. What I do believe is that Lego didn’t think beyond what would work as “flesh” except from a euro-centric viewpoint (i.e. they didn’t really think about it).

Instead, I see the NBA figs and Lando as prototypes for updating the minifigs... to make them better.

I think they are finally figuring out that blacks would consider it insulting to portray them in a pale color, and “fictional characters are yellow” aside, it wasn’t going to fly for Lando, whom they have been actively and obviously avoiding production of.

Maybe people should quit assuming that anything to do with fleshtones in toys is a racial statement. I don’t know. I just wish everyone could enjoy the new Lando and NBA figs, and say, “Cool, LEGO, make more like this!” I think this would be a lot better than scolding TLC for not doing it sooner, or assuming racial prejudice in a company that has nothing to gain and everything to lose from it.

If Lego hadn’t been scolded, they would have continued to sweep the whole thing under the carpet in the hopes no one would notice that there was no Mace or Lando figs (and still would have except that demand was there). Not producing Mace or Lando figs because it would force them to address their policy of one pale color fits all would be cowardly at best. Why should Lego be exempt from criticism?

-->Bruce<--