 Star Wars / 16051
Re: Lando minifig picutre HERE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 04:11:32 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
It's important to understand that the "race-card" was played a long time ago.  A
bunch of pale danes sat around a room and decided what primary color would work
best as a "flesh" tone.  They looked at each other and the choice was
ethno-centric.  They weren't color-blind, just typically insensitive (or not
forward-looking enough).  Having painted themselves into a corner, they kept it
up until they had to face reality with the NBA.  The trouble was, they needed to
make that decision a wee bit earlier for representing any specific person for
Star Wars and Harry Potter, because they faced the two rotten choices of keeping
up the pretense and facing a possible outcry by the black community if they came
out with a yellow Lando (or none at all, which is what they tried to get away
with for as long as they could, which was perhaps worse), or proving the lie in
their own rational by making a brown Lando.  It was a train wreck destined to
happen.

->Bruce<--

I disagree with your assumptions.  When LEGO first made any attempt at Lego
"people", they had very few colors to choose from.  Yellow was probably the best
looking one available at the time.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just don't believe
there was any racial motivation in the original color choice.

Instead, I see the NBA figs and Lando as prototypes for updating the minifigs...
to make them better.

Maybe people should quit assuming that anything to do with fleshtones in toys is
a racial statement.  I don't know.  I just wish everyone could enjoy the new
Lando and NBA figs, and say, "Cool, LEGO, make more like this!"  I think this
would be a lot better than scolding TLC for not doing it sooner,  or assuming
racial prejudice in a company that has nothing to gain and everything to lose
from it.

(stepping down from soapbox)

Tim, the hopeful AFOL