 Star Wars / 16058
Re: Lando minifig picutre HERE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:08:20 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.starwars, Tim Romine wrote:
   In lugnet.starwars, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   It’s important to understand that the “race-card” was played a long time ago. A bunch of pale danes sat around a room and decided what primary color would work best as a “flesh” tone. They looked at each other and the choice was ethno-centric. They weren’t color-blind, just typically insensitive (or not forward-looking enough). Having painted themselves into a corner, they kept it up until they had to face reality with the NBA. The trouble was, they needed to make that decision a wee bit earlier for representing any specific person for Star Wars and Harry Potter, because they faced the two rotten choices of keeping up the pretense and facing a possible outcry by the black community if they came out with a yellow Lando (or none at all, which is what they tried to get away with for as long as they could, which was perhaps worse), or proving the lie in their own rational by making a brown Lando. It was a train wreck destined to happen.

->Bruce<--

I disagree with your assumptions. When LEGO first made any attempt at Lego “people”, they had very few colors to choose from. Yellow was probably the best looking one available at the time. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I just don’t believe there was any racial motivation in the original color choice.

However, we do have the clear example of set 215 as skin colour differentiating ‘race’; and this set dates back to 1977 - not too long after yellow skin was established.

Adieu

Richie Dulin

Well, that’s true IF you believe that Lego’s race card is played across all lines and all themes. From what I remember, they’ve always been adamant about the race card only pertaining to minifigs and only fictional ones at that. Personally, I wish they had opened up this antiquated idea of ‘only yellow’ minifigs in the Lego universe a decade ago. In an age where everyone is becoming more culturally aware and where cultural diversity is becoming a thing of the past, it’s nice to see Lego finally realizing that yellow minifigs, no matter what the facial printing, are inadequate to represent the world we live in.

Now, if we could get politicians to join us in this millenium and help promote actual progress in our society...ah, that’s a totally different thread.

-Dave