 Star Wars / 16057
Re: Brickfest 2003 Question and Answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 05:36:36 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Allan Bedford wrote:
   Which is why I wondered if adult builders would want it. Perhaps it’s aimed more directly at pure Star Wars fans than previous sets from this series?

Possibly. I’ve seen a lot of polls on FBTB that this appears to be the answer to, though.

   Will it show up at retail at full price I wonder?

My understanding is that LEGO Direct offers sets that fall within a certain range of expected sales. Enough to be worth doing, but not enough to propose to retail sources without solid evidence that they’ll actually sell. When they get enough orders through S@H, they can present them as proof to the retailers and sign one or more of them on to purchase additional stock. The Super Chief, Bionicle Masterbuilder, Rebel Blockade Runner, and My Own Train sets made it to retail through exclusive venues. I’m sure there have been others as well (though I find it curious that the Blacksmith Shop has not, given that so many people here seem to think it’s the best set ever).

   I’ve always wondered why Lando was such a popular character. I always thought Williams brought a cheesy flavor to the movie that even the great story and amazing effects of the movie itself couldn’t cover up. He’s such a C-grade actor in such a classic flick. He’s definitely my least favorite part of one of my all-time favorite movies.

He’s like the other side of the Han Solo coin. More appealling on the surface (especially since he’s so obviously more image-conscious), but not quite as reliable underneath.

   John’s been on his knees too much lately... I think the air is thin down there. I wouldn’t listen to him. :)

Huh? You completely lost me there...which might be a good thing.

   Actually, if anything, King George is one of the worst Star Wars fans out there. He really has little clue why the movies were ever popular to begin with. He thinks it was because of the special effects, which he feels were never good enough, so he has to go back and tinker with something that was never broken.

Actually, there are quite a few scenes that needed some improvement. Unfortunately, he skipped a few and tinkered with others that were okay. I would have been thrilled if he fixed the Rancor like he did with the Snowspeeder canopies (which were actually a lot less noticable). It would have also been nice if he added lights to C-3PO’s eyes in ANH, since they were constantly blinking off at weird/inappropriate moments.

   It’ll be interesting to watch and see what happens. Too bad the Twin Pod Cloud Cars aren’t around as a nice supplemental set to sell alongside this new one.

That actually would have made a lot of sense. Of course, so would releasing the AT-AT and Snowspeeder at the same time. Unfortunately, they started out with the sets they thought would sell the best out of the gate, rather than trying to match various vehicles up with each other.