 Events / BrickFest / 1874
Re: Brickfest 2003 Question and Answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:41:06 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Allan Bedford wrote:
   Seems to me that the type of set, and the theme of it, are an odd mix. Maybe I’m missing something.

Nope, you have it right I think. Fortunately, all we may have to do is wait for these to get clearanced to score them cheap. I think at one point I was seeing the Millenium Falcon at 50%. Patience is your friend.

The problem with this set, as with much of the HP stuff, is that it doesn’t really seem to build anything recognizable or solid. It’s just a play area or series of scenes.

I just built #4729 Dumbledore’s Office and even though I got it for a great price for 446 elements I can assure you that the set isn’t actually that great. It’s more like a dollhouse, without a truly recognizable structure. What’s weird is that the set has great details that just don’t make that much sense when you put it all together -- they add up to some bizarre tower-like thing that doesn’t really look like a tower. The second level folds out for no particular reason except to possibly give you easier access to the interior which contains nothing. There’s a secret entrance on one side at the bottom, but that side really looks like the backside of something, I just don’t know what. The only really cool part is the first floor entrance closure, where at least the parts that fold out have stuff that you can fiddle with inside. But even the closure point needs a more finished look -- it needs a stacked series of two 1x1 plates capped with a 1x1 tile where there’s a 1x1 brick space that is left empty.

Likewise, I think the theory for this new star wars set is that you will reenact scenes from the movie with it -- I just think that it’s a bad bet they have made with this set. Only hardcore collectors will care. Everyone else will be standoffish until they can score it cheap. Lando is neat, but if I can’t get this set at deep discount I’ll just wait for the brown basketball players to go to deep discount -- that will be a better and more useful source for the “black pack” we’ve been wanting anyway. Consider the comments provided by Larry once again:

“A cloud city star wars play set... there is a different hairdo for leia.”

I bet there’s only interest in the hair element there.

“It has a landing platform for your stuff.”

What stuff? Stuff that doesn’t come with the set?

“lots of modularity...”

Uh-huh -- is that like saying “fragmented design concept”?

“chamber where Luke battles Vader...”

We have this already by way of Final Duel I and II.

“there also is a thing that flings Luke...”

Yeah, that’s my big concern -- where’s the thing that flings Luke...

“also has the Carbon Freezing Chamber with a new Boba...put han in and out comes frozen han...”

We have unfrozen and frozen Hans already. And let’s face it, that 1x2x5 black white printed frozen Han pretty much sucked the first time around. I did see a really neat custom one where someone had cut a minifig at various angles to make it look as if it were half-embedded in a 1x2x5 brick -- that was pretty cool! I bet we aren’t getting that.

Bobba with the printing on arms is interesting historically, but for no other reason. We already have a Bobba anyway.

“it has a Lando too! Lando is brown!”

The big unveiling, now a complete letdown because the basketball sets came first anyway. Don’t get me wrong though, he does look really great!

The Cloud City set is the Final Duel sets writ large, and I saw the Final Duel sets everywhere at deep discount -- like stacks and stacks of them. And maybe it’s just me, but why does the set look like a cafeteria of a sort? Is Leia being served by the Stormtrooper? Maybe Luke and Vader should stop dueling, go and sit down with the Princess, and just have a nice cuppa...

What were they thinking? $1OO for what? A brown minifigure? Seriously, which of us reading this couldn’t build this set right now in probably all the same colors. Unique items look to be some white corkscrew thing, the brown plant, and maybe the new hair element. This is a joke, right?

-- Hop-Frog (just call me Mr. Sour Grapes)