 Events / BrickFest / 1886
Re: Brickfest 2003 Question and Answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:37:09 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickfest, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   I don’t have a problem with playset style sets, but one that is marketed to the adults (by virtue of the price point) isn’t exactly a good idea buisness wise.

I’d guess that’s why it’s a S@H exclusive. They probably don’t expect it to sell well enough to retail sources (whether it would to customers is irrelevent), so they are offering it through their direct sales market.

Which still doesn’t really answer the question of who’s going to buy it, only by which arm of their distribution network it’s being sold on.

The question I still have is, “will adults buy this ‘play set’ for $100?” Or, will they only see it as a parts pack, which they would normally only buy at deep discount?

My other question is whether or not younger kids will ‘get’ a set like this. True, the box is marked for 14+, but you know some younger kids will receive it. But when the context of the play set comes from a movie released 10 - 15 years before they were born, will the story make sense to them. Not to mention that this particular set of scenes are among some of the darker ones from what is arguably one of the darker movies in the series. I saw Empire when I was 12 and I wouldn’t have wanted to see it any sooner!

Add to that the fact this movie isn’t even available on DVD, which means some kids who haven’t seen it may still not see it, unless mom or dad has or buys the video. Ironically the movie *might* be on DVD just about the time this set is being discontinued. :(

Strange marketing strategy I guess. I just don’t get it.

Allan B.