 Events / BrickFest / 1876
Re: Brickfest 2003 Question and Answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:45:48 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickfest, Allan Bedford wrote:
   Seems to me that the type of set, and the theme of it, are an odd mix. Maybe I’m missing something.

Nope, you have it right I think. Fortunately, all we may have to do is wait for these to get clearanced to score them cheap. I think at one point I was seeing the Millenium Falcon at 50%. Patience is your friend.

The problem with this set, as with much of the HP stuff, is that it doesn’t really seem to build anything recognizable or solid. It’s just a play area or series of scenes.

snip

   Consider the comments provided by Larry once again:

“A cloud city star wars play set... there is a different hairdo for leia.”

I bet there’s only interest in the hair element there.

“It has a landing platform for your stuff.”

What stuff? Stuff that doesn’t come with the set?

“lots of modularity...”

Uh-huh -- is that like saying “fragmented design concept”?

“chamber where Luke battles Vader...”

We have this already by way of Final Duel I and II.

Actually Final Duel I and II were fron Return of the Jedi (the second time Luke fights Vader and has a green lightsaber) This Duel is from Empire Strikes Back (the first time Luke fight Vader and has a blue lightsaber.)

“there also is a thing that flings Luke...”

Yeah, that’s my big concern -- where’s the thing that flings Luke...

“also has the Carbon Freezing Chamber with a new Boba...put han in and out comes frozen han...”

We have unfrozen and frozen Hans already. And let’s face it, that 1x2x5 black white printed frozen Han pretty much sucked the first time around. I did see a really neat custom one where someone had cut a minifig at various angles to make it look as if it were half-embedded in a 1x2x5 brick -- that was pretty cool! I bet we aren’t getting that.

Bobba with the printing on arms is interesting historically, but for no other reason. We already have a Bobba anyway.

“it has a Lando too! Lando is brown!”

The big unveiling, now a complete letdown because the basketball sets came first anyway. Don’t get me wrong though, he does look really great!

The Cloud City set is the Final Duel sets writ large, and I saw the Final Duel sets everywhere at deep discount -- like stacks and stacks of them. And maybe it’s just me, but why does the set look like a cafeteria of a sort? Is Leia being served by the Stormtrooper? Maybe Luke and Vader should stop dueling, go and sit down with the Princess, and just have a nice cuppa...

In Empire Strikes Back Leia, Han, and Chewie were going with Lando to the dining hall and Lando makes the comment “I’ve just made a deal that will insure the Empire will stay out of here forever.” Then he opens the door and Vader is sitting there. Chewie growls, Han starts shooting, Vader block a few bolts with his hand, pulls the blaster to him with the force, stormtroopers come it behind them, Boba Fett comes through a back door to Vader’s side, and Vader says “We would be honored if you would join us.”

What were they thinking? $1OO for what? A brown minifigure? Seriously, which of us reading this couldn’t build this set right now in probably all the same colors. Unique items look to be some white corkscrew thing, the brown plant, and maybe the new hair element. This is a joke, right?

Aside from the missing plot info on your part I have to mostly agree. This might have been an awesome 50 dollar set (for parts anyway) or maybe should have been three or four 10-20 dollar sets and available at retail. If that was the case I think it would have done very well. As it is I think it will flop, which is a shame really. I don’t have a problem with playset style sets, but one that is marketed to the adults (by virtue of the price point) isn’t exactly a good idea buisness wise. TLC needs to get back to the old concept of modularity. Even the afore mentioned Final Duel and Harry Potter sets have no real logical way to connect them. This is where they are missing the boat, they should have smaller sets that connect in a logical manner with and/or to actually make the larger ones.

-Mike Petrucelli (who was really hoping they’d announce the Blacktron Battrax)