 Events / BrickFest / 1878
Re: Brickfest 2003 Question and Answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:12:22 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   I don’t have a problem with playset style sets, but one that is marketed to the adults (by virtue of the price point) isn’t exactly a good idea buisness wise.

I’d guess that’s why it’s a S@H exclusive. They probably don’t expect it to sell well enough to retail sources (whether it would to customers is irrelevent), so they are offering it through their direct sales market. One store will then service all of North America, and there will be enough of us SW fans who will want to get it to make it worth selling through S@H. They originally didn’t think anyone would want to buy the RBR because it cost $200, but look at the phenomenal success of the $300 ISD.

   TLC needs to get back to the old concept of modularity. Even the afore mentioned Final Duel and Harry Potter sets have no real logical way to connect them. This is where they are missing the boat, they should have smaller sets that connect in a logical manner with and/or to actually make the larger ones.

I have to agree with you on the Final Duel/Jedi Defense sets, but you obviously haven’t seen what’s possible with the HP series. With the exception of scattered locales (Privet Drive, Hogwart’s Express, the various Alley sets, etc.), the Hogwart’s sets were designed with modular intent. I don’t collect them, but I did pick up a couple of sets for specific pieces, and I got this fold-out poster in the QQS set that shows most of the Castle Proper sets combined into one large behemoth. For instance, if you remove the parapets from the top of the Chamber of Secrets, you can stack Hogwart’s Castle on top of it. Alternately, if you unfold Snape’s Classroom, you can stack the large main hall section of Hogwart’s Castle on top of it. No, there don’t appear to be any pin connectors like the three Jabba’s Palace sets enjoy, but there’s a high degree of vertical modularity to it that I’m sure will be quite impressive when the whole series wraps up. As for horizontal modularity, while it would certainly be nice, kids don’t usually need such crutches to get their imaginations to work.