 Star Wars / 16071
Re: Star Wars on DVD (was Re: Brickfest 2003 Question and Answer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 04:25:24 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   According to an interview I read, (I think on starwars.com), the reason the original trilogy has not been released is because after episode 3, they are going to further and/enhance the original trilogy. The Archival Edition will be the one released on DVD and they did not want people to be angry that they would have had to buy a new version only a few years after they otherwise would have purchased the triolgy.

That’s news to me. The only thing I’ve ever heard on this is that putting together a DVD that isn’t just a flat, plastic, non-magnetic VHS tape takes a lot of work. GL wants to be involved in that process (as is his right), and he won’t have time to do anything with it until after he’s got Ep3 done. Originally they didn’t want to release any of the movies on DVD until they were all done, but they realized that it would be considerably less work to bump production of the movie directly into production of the DVD.