 Space / 31837
Re: Is it just me, or...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:25:54 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Steven McDonough wrote:

   I’ve been reading Lugnet for over four years and it seems to me it has gotten more and more “cliquey.” In .space anyway. I think this has had a major impact on lurkers willingness to come forward. Unless they say this is my first post they don’t get much encouragement.

Or maybe my mocs just suck and everyone is too nice to say so. :)

Post your MOCs and don’t sit around and wait for praise.

   Build for yourself and don’t worry about other people. If they like it, they will post.

I build my creations only for myself. I post my creations for feedback. I like to try out different styles and building techniques. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t, and I can usually tell which is which by myself but not always. I want to know if other people think a design works or not. I’ve found myself becoming a much better builder by applying people’s feedback to other’s creations to my own building. However, I’ve gotten very little feedback for my own creations. So I have much less motivation to post them, since no one seems to care. I’m still happy making them, but if no one’s happy to see them I’ll use the time it takes for me to photograph, process and post them for something else.

   I’ve posted plenty of MOCs that only got one or two replies. It happens to everyone. It’s easy to blame it on “cliquey”, but not easy to ask yourself if your MOC was really awesome.

Actually, I’m my own worst critic, and think that many to most of my posted mocs are only average to good(compared to the standards reset here constantly). I don’t know if I’ve ever had an “awesome” moc. The ones I thought were great got the same responces(or lack of) that the rest of them got. This just makes me think that none of them were really liked.

I think many of the “elite” builders(who pretty much do deserve the praise they get) on here could build something that’s intentionally craptastic.* Not only would they still get people saying how great it was but they would also get helpful sugestions on it.

I’m not really trying to whine about people not replying to my posts, but to point that I think many of the reasons people(or at least newer people and lurkers) are posting less is because of reasons similar to my own.

-Steve McDonough

Craptastic 1: fantasically crappy or “What the ...? I award you no points and I have pity on your existance. How is it possible for something to look so bad”