 Space / 31805
Re: Is it just me, or...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:11:21 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:

Good for them, they’re having fun. This is not a post count competition.

Yeah, that’s true- quality over quantity. But going days without posts doesn’t really help quality, either.

   I think we need something around here to revitalize the .space community, something to encourage people to sign up and also encourage old posters who are lurkers (or worse) to post. Perhaps we might even need to follow .Castle (*gasp*) and start our own website- a classic-space.com- to liven things up? Lugnet is really nice, but I think without something new the whole community stagnates.

A new website might be cool, but the thing about a website is that someone has to be dedicated to working on it. I think most of us would rather just build something than to have to be responsible for a website all the time.

We could always make it a ‘community’ thing, theoretically letting all of us add things when you want. But you’re right, a website is a hard thing to mantain and we all have lifes outside of Lego. Although that said, I do have a lot of spare time nowadays.

   Well, it looks like a few people are at least paying attention. And, here comes my 2 cents...

Thanks for the thoughts, JHK; here’s some back at you.

I imagine there might be a bit of a post-BrickFest lull

I think this is responsible for a lot of it. Quite a few of the more prolific spacers were at Brickfest PDX,, and I think after that level of LEGO saturation, many of us are just LEGO’d out. It was a month ago, but when I walk into my LEGO room, I look around and go “Meh.” I still have some boxes left to unpack, full of MOCs.

Hmm, that must be a factor. Me, I’m poor, and my parents hate travelling, and since nothing happens down here in Jacksonville, Florida I do all my stuff online. So I guess I notice these fluctuations more then others...

For me, LEGO is a hobby, and I only build when I feel inspired. I don’t want to force myself to build something if I don’t have a clear, strong motivation, because that’s no fun for me. So I just wait for the mood to strike me.

I’ve had a problem with that too. I had a few ideas, but I didn’t have enough bricks to complete them (darn parents won’t let me buy any more Lego) and so I kind of stagnated. But after looking at some Star Trek shuttle designs, I have an idea and I’m working on it now.

   I do have some ideas in the back of my head. One of these days I’ll get geared up and you’ll all be neck deep in 3vil again.

Can’t wait...

-JHK