 Space / 20141
Re: Greeblies: Pros and Cons (was: New Space MOCs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:43:28 GMT

I've always imaganed a spaceship as a clunky bit of machinery that needs
large amounts of just plain Stuff to work, and whenever I see a ship with no
greeblies at all, and with a smooth, studless exterioir, I think, 'Nice, but
no cigar.'  I've never thought of greeblies as vital equipment, just as sort
of add-on sensors and radiators, etc.  And I've always thought of space as a
'one hit, one kill' place in which the best tactic is speed and agility,
rather then sheer armour.

I think the 'one hit, one kill' would make sense for direct hits, but also
think about the wide variety partial hits.  I mean, even having a powerful
laserbeam pass near your fighter would cause some damage.  Even if armor
plating isn't called for, basic lines of defensive-ness are necessary to keep
from lame kills (ie. damaging a fuel port, which disables engines but doesn't
really destroy the fighter).

Personally I agree with the emphasis on speed and agility (slow moving, heavily
armored titan is just easier to hit).  But some sort of armor is always a good
idea.

My concept of greeblies (yet to be turned into MOC form) is that the smoothness
should be only a cover for a greebled interior. While some greeblies would
remain exposed, most would be behind covers.  Covers that would be removed when
repairs or whatnot is needed.  Or in the case of sensors, open when sensing is
needed.

Of course, being 13 and never seeing any major sci-fi movies or books such
as Star Wars, Star Trek, Anime, etc, my views might differ.  I'm opening
this up for debate.  What do you guys think?

Personally I hold sci-fi films' depiction of space warfare with a certain bit
of mistrust.  We tend to see warfare in 2D terms, like land war.  Maybe in
limited 3D terms like Top Gun or whatever, but neither of these is analogous to
unlimited 3D environment.

For example, in Star Trek you never see a Romulan Warbird de-cloak upside down,
or whatever, which should be quite possible.  Why? It would look weird and take
too long to explain to a terrestrial audience.

I personally think that *actual* space warfare will be totally different than
anything planet-bound.  I mean, given the immensity of space, how easy would it
be to even find the enemy and engage?  Or to protect a 3D border?

food for thought
-lenny