 Space / 1071
Re: free-for-all in space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:03:01 GMT

Mark Nelson wrote:

In lugnet.space, Patrick Leahy writes:

I bet the enemy wouldn't expect a turbolaser-caked freighter, • especially
if
half its cargo is fighters.  The look on the enemys' faces, heheheh...

Hahahaha! I agree... :)

Then again, of course, it's not a freighter anymore...:)

best

LFB

What's the difference between transports and freighters?  Is one armed, and • the
other not?  I haven't been able to figure that one out..

Freighters carry generic cargo, stored as compactly as possible for shipping.
"Transports" generally carry people or machines designed for immediate • deployment
or comfort.  "Tenders" also fall into this category.  Now, what does one call • a
ship carrying cryo pods?  A sleeper ship, if they're full (or intended for • filling
in situ)--if they're being shipped somewhere, they're "Freighters." • Transports can
carry freight as well as passengers, however; it's just not their primary • purpose.

As to whether they're armed, that has to do with whether they're
military-affiliated or not in peacetime; in times of war, even fully civilian
transports and freighters might get defensive armament.

The above are usually true in modern surface ships, which form the basis for
starship analogues; however, YMMV when you get them into your own universe.

best,

Lindsay

That makes sense.  Then, I suppose, a freighter bristling with turbolasers and
with a cargo bay 2/5 full with fighters can still be used as a freighter, as
long as the remaining 3/5 of cargo space is used for freight.  A freighter
that also serves as a heavy warship doesn't need escorts.  What a cool idea.
Maybe I should build one.