 Space / 1074
Re: free-for-all in space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 19:36:52 GMT

Granted, fighters don't generally mind what the pattern is as long as
they can get in and out, and historically they haven't been aboard sea
freighters because of the whole runway issue that may be irrelevant to small
spacecraft.

A fair number of ships were fitted with spitfires in WW2, something in the
order of 200 flights were made.  (all were take off, ditch flights...)  It
worked great against Condors (the search plane), in that the condor was _much_
more expensive than a spitfire (they used Mk1's, because they were not fighting
fighters...)

The"OooooOOoooO!!" (as in surprise or alarm) factor however also rests on the
fact that the overwhelming number of freighters *aren't* fitted out like this.
To seewhat happens when more than a few are, just look at the Q-ships and
German unrestricted submarine warfare in WWI.

Yep, it is the suprise...suprise is the event that happens in the mind of the
commander.  The whole Q ship/armed merchant ship is a interesting concept.  The
problem is that the ships are _not_ warships, and should not be expected to do
all that well against a warship.  The idea of a 2/5 3/5 fighter/cargo sounds
far more like a military/pirate ship than a cargo carrier to me...

James Powell