 Space / 10237
Re: Armageddon Class Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:07:46 GMT

In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:

<big fat snip>

I am finishing drawing the plans to my Death Blossom (which is not a very
big vessel but certainly a unique vessel) so maybe I can actually LEARN how
to download LDraw and MLCad today because I FINALLY have the Internet on my
computer after a nearly TWO YEAR hiatus from my own computer.

Jesse, I do have one question:

Why do we have to wait for you to load MLCad for us to be able to see your
MOCs?  I'm not going to get into this big discussion on who did what. etc,
but you keep refering back to your models.  Why put them on MLCad?  Just
take a picture of the ship, scan it and post it on Brickshelf, and post the
link here in lugnet.space.  (I don't want to be presumtuous and assume right
away that you have the equipment, and if you don't I understand.  Perhaps a
friend or family memeber can lend you the gear if need be.)

Anyways, in your most recent post you have mentioned how you honestly think
that Nathan's ship resembles more of a corvette-type of vessel.  Ok, no
problem - you are entitled to your opinion.  Everyone's style is different,
and I'm sure we will all agree on that.  Also, you have refered to some
ships that you have yet to build in real life.  Well, have you built any?
I'm not saying you have not built any, but many of us would really like to
see them, if anything for the enjoyment of seeing someone-else's creations.

So, maybe the fact that no one has seen any of these ships of yours that you
have refered to is in turn contributing to the frustration over some of the
ship comparisions that you have made.  All frustration aside, if we could
only see what you have done, then we can better understand where your are
coming from in your critiques or comparisions.

A picture speaks a thousand words.  In other words, show us the goods, man!
Do you or do you not have any MOCs to show us?  I personally would like to
see how you plan to create a 800-1600 stud long (or more) capital ship using
MLCad, unless you have a 800 megahertz to 1 gigahertz+ processor speed on
your desktop.  Not that it can't be done, but let's face it - I've tried to
go over 100 studs and my computer craps out.  It's WAY easier right now to
do that in bricks, so show us a pic of some of your MOCs and all will be well.

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.

Finally, an INTELLIGENT AND REASONABLE post!  I thought that the day would
never come!  Trevor, perhaps I have had you all misfigured on Lugnet.

You are correct because I do not have all of the gear that is necessary for
me to download my creations onto MLCad or to LDraw and I do not even know
even how to work LDraw, let alone MLCad.  I also lack the money (which
builder usually does not lack the money to buy that cherished LEGO set) to
purchase LEGO sets and I am not sure what you mean by your computer crashing
when downloading such a file.  My computer is an Intel Celeron 300 MHz so it
can download practically any file off of the Internet.  I do have a scanner
but I have to go to where my grandmother lives (Shiloh, Tennessee) to use
the scanner and I have never used a scanner before so that is another
problem for me, Trevor.

I am sorry that you had problems in the past with LDraw and MLCad files but
maybe if we all quit acting like dorks that maybe we can teach each other
the value of good LEGO construction?  I do not want to get into physical
altercations because it may lead to physical alterations.  This is my way of
saying I do not want to get into a street fight over LEGO Space ideas,
especially with some person like Nathan, Matthew, Steve Bliss, or Bob.  I
try to ignore those types of people and if they persist in their attitudes,
I may not be such a happy Lugnet user.

I do know of a friend of a friend who has a large collection of LEGO pieces
but I can not go to his apartment tonight (Friday) because I have a prior
engagement, namely, seeing some people bludgeon each other in some wrestling
matches across the street.  I will download LDraw and ask for help on
downloading MLCad tomorrow if you are willing to help me because I am nice
if I cooperate with people.

Jesse Long

P.S.  I have built some ships in real life and have actually taken pictures
of these ships but, at least compared to some of the other capital class
vessels, they are rather tiny and barely pass as capital vessels.  My larger
vessel is eighty to eighty four studs long and my smaller vessel is seventy
to seventy three studs long.