 Space / 10194
Re: Armageddon Class Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:04:02 GMT

In lugnet.space, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.space, Kyle Keppler writes:

Hey cool! I like the cockpit/bridge. Looks like a design that could fit on
almost any ship. One gripe tho, if it's a destroyer, where's the big guns?
:-P Looks more like a cruiser or something to me...

I thought wet navy cruisers were bigger than destroyers and hence had bigger
guns. Perhaps you're thinking of a corvette? Those are smaller than
destroyers IIRC.

(patrol boat, corvette, destroyer, frigate, cruiser, battleship, dreadnought ??)

I may have frigate in the wrong spot. Where's LFB when you need him?

   So my ears were burning, pain, pain, terrible pain, and...oh,
   wait.  Nobody cares about flaming earwax.  But someone said "wet
   navy," so here I am.

   The organization of naval classes depends to a certain extent
   on precisely what era you're talking about.  Naturally, if you're
   basing your classes on the ossified WWI/WWII hierarchy, it's usually
   like this (* indicates poorly defined categories that sort of slide
   into one another):

   Patrol boat
   Torpedo/missile boat
   corvette*
   frigate*
   destroyer escort*
   destroyer
   protected cruiser/auxiliary cruiser
   light and heavy cruisers
   (battlecruiser)--(a schizophrenic category)
   battleship ("dreadnought" is a subcategory of this, referring to
      any ship designed and executed 'after' HMS Dreadnought[1].)

   Carriers are interspersed among the middle and upper reaches, if
   we're talking about the range of WWII carriers, from converted
   merchants (in the auxiliary cruiser range) through cruiser/BB size
   up to the modern supercarrier, which is larger than any battleship
   ever was (or, really, could have been, given the way carriers
   distribute their mass).

   The modern navy has supplanted the DE with the frigate; the A/CA
   or protected cruiser has also gone the way of the dodo.  One
   could argue that the battleship and battlecruiser are gone, but
   I keep thinking of the ex-Kirovs as battlecruisers--and US Aegis
   missile cruisers are almost the size of battleships of a long-gone
   day (although not nearly of their displacement).

   By the way, has anyone else stumbled across the US Navy's DD 21
   (21st Century Destroyer) programme website?  They're actually
   BUILDING one of these hideous, but probably quite effective, things:

   http://dd21.crane.navy.mil/

   I weep for naval aesthetics.  A moment of silence, please...

   ...okay, moment's over.  THAT THING'S REALLY FREAKIN' UGLY!

   best

   LFB

   [1] Notwithstanding that the United States and Japan had designed
       their first "dreadnoughts" *before* HMS Dreadnought was drawn up;
       the US examples became _South Carolina_ and _Michigan_.  The
       logistics of HG manufacture forced the Japanese units to be
       completed as large "pre-dreadnoughts".

   XFUT-> .o-t.geek