 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 24
Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 00:40:09 GMT

I like the pdf format. I have no trouble reading it either on my laptop
(800X600) or on this machine (1280X1024). I use the "fit width" option, and
have never seen the text be "too small" in either case.

It is becoming commonplace in the industry, I work for a large storage
integrator and all of our vendors distribute docs this way. There is
something to be said for familiarity, and although being non-conformist can
be fun, pdf is the way most commercial vendors are headed.

--
SeeYa !
------------

Lou Sortman wrote in message <36CEF66A.F4657024@bigfoot.com>...
Mark Tarrabain wrote:

More than a few people have emailed me already telling me that PDF is not • the way to go
because it will limit who can contribute to it (thank you to those • people, by the way,
for keeping such comments to email rather than cluttering the newsgroup • with it).
Since Acrobat Distiller is not a free piece of software, and isn't even • actually
available for some platforms, I can see their point.

However, I still do believe that PDF is the best choice for distribution.

I _can_ read PDF files, but I would discourage making it the form that docs • are released
in.  I find reading PDFs to be a painful experience.  My display is only • 1024x768, and at
that resolution, reading the output of any page description language is • difficult as the
type is terribly small, and the only alternative is panning around a page • to see all of
the text.  Most semiconductor manufacturers seem to be releasing their data • sheets in PDF,
which, while admirable from the standpoint of portability, is really • difficult to read.
It is great for printing, but online reading is torture.

This is true on both Linux and Winders, though it would be mitigated a • little if the
Winders box had a decent video card and could, therefore, display • antialiased fonts.
Since the Winders box belongs to my employer (I wouldn't be running it • voluntarily), I
can't exactly just buy a decent video card for it.

I much prefer HTML (which is a markup language, not a page description • language) as the
content is displayed in a manner which accomodates the user's environment, • instead of
trying to display an entire letter or A4 sized page as a unit.

I agree with what another poster said about PDFs not necessarily being a • problem if they
are generated from something else which can provide other, more • user-friendly output.
This might be an excuse for me to finally learn to use TeX.