 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 13
Re: PDF (was Re: legOS docs - what do people want?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 18:23:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, markt@lynx.bc.ca (Mark Tarrabain) writes:
More than a few people have emailed me already telling me that PDF is not the way to go
because it will limit who can contribute to it (thank you to those people, by the way,
for keeping such comments to email rather than cluttering the newsgroup with it).

Ahh, but this specialized newsgroup -is- for cluttering up :) with comments of
that nature -- as long as things remain on-topic to legOS and still helpful to
Markus and comrades.

Since Acrobat Distiller is not a free piece of software, and isn't even actually
available for some platforms, I can see their point.

It costs money?  Bummer.  So only the viewer is free then?

However, I still do believe that PDF is the best choice for distribution.  Therefore,
I'm willing to put "my money where my mouth is" as it were... and offer my services for
this project, since I happen to legally own Distiller.  I figure if I'm not willing to
help produce the document, I shouldn't have any right to say that I want to see it in
PDF.

It seems hard to oppose a PDF distribution if the PDF file is offered in
addition to HTML and plaintext.  (More choices = more fun :)   But I think
you'd be fighting a steep uphill battle if you suggested that PDF should be the
-only- format.

That is to say, although PDF may indeed be "a" best choice for distribution, it
certainly may not be "the" best choice, all things considered.  Just something
to think about.

I can read a variety of formats, including html, straight postscript, msword, and quite
a few others, including the major graphic formats (I can't think of the complete list
of what all I can use off the top of my head, but I haven't found one yet that I can't
pull up).

When sending me a file (or group of files) for PDF production, please indicate to me
what the destination filename should be, the full document title, the document author,
and any keywords that are desired to be attached to the document so that this
information can properly be inserted into the PDF and display correctly if accessed
through an Acrobat Reader program.  I do not wish to beome a free source of PDF for
general purposes, so I ask that people who send me documents please restrict their
nature to surrounding this project only.  Documents unconnected with LegOS will be
disposed of without being converted.  Please indicate the purpose of the email by
including the words "LegOS" and "documentation" in the subject heading.  Please attach
the document in compressed (zip, gzip, or tar.gz) format to an email so that it takes
up minimum space.  Thanks.

Cool -- with Markus's blessing, maybe you could take what's been done so far
and whip up a sample prototype PDF that people could download and give a whirl.

--Todd