 Robotics / Handy Board / 5986
Re: GCC 2.8.1 for HC11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:36:29 GMT

The GCC Miniboard library -plus- LCD routines are almost completely ported
to the Handyboard.  The LCD routines started playing nicely early this
morning but I haven't added the low-level stuff into the timer interrupt
yet.  I can now write characters to the display!  Serial-out works.
Haven't debugged the beeper yet, and haven't tested serial-in or motor
routines (don't have any motor chips or IR on my board).

WARNING:  It appears that the GCC/HC11 array indexing isn't working.  I
had to convert the LCD code to use pointers for the circular queue (which
actually made the code quite a bit smaller - probably faster too).  If
anyone knows how to fix array indexing in GCC, please let me know. It's
probably something in the code that I touched.  I didn't have to touch any
of the assembler/linker code, so I believe it is a GCC-for-HC11 problem.

WARNING:  The linker (Baldwin?) is buggy, or at least misleading.  I spent
a lot of energy trying to get each memory segment located into the correct
memory region.  I found out that by creating some global labels (using
"::") and assembling/linking again that the map file showed the correct
addresses for global labels, but incorrect addresses for the memory
segment.  Believe the global labels.  I added extra labels at the
beginning/end of various segments so that they became visible in the map
files.

Oh yea, did you know that if you create code which is located in the first
page of memory that the loader will give you an error while trying to load
it?  ;-)  I guess the running loader code has to live somewhere...

I located the LCD code into 0x0100-0x01ff to get around this (I have an
E1/E9 chip - 512 bytes RAM).  I'll change it later so the code is moved
into first page memory from somewhere else when the program starts.  That
way it'll run on the A-series HC11 chips as well.

I now have the full 32.5K RAM to play in.  Sure is nice.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
"Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U