 Robotics / Handy Board / 5950
Re: GCC 2.8.1 for HC11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:54:57 GMT

Curt,

I can't help test with a miniboard, since I just have a handyboard
  ("just" have a handyboard?). But I'd be willing to give any help I
  can with the handyboard libs. I'm also a willing guinea pig for
  trying out your gcc-2.8.1 patch and README.

You mention that you're having problems getting gcc to build so that
  it installs with a different name or in a different location. Did
  you try using the --prefix=<path> option when you ran configure?
  That's the usual way to get gcc to build so it installs in a
  particular place. I think there is also a configure option to set
  a suffix that will go on the binaries so you can have multiple
  versions called, e.g., gcc-2,7,2, gcc-2.8.1, etc.

Hmmm, I just took a quick look through the INSTALL file from gcc-2.8.1
  and didn't find mention of how to get things to be named
  differently, but it does mention the --prefix option. That ought to
  be sufficient.

If you'll let me have a copy of your patches, I'll try building them
  and see what I can come up with.

As for copyright, I'm not familiar with adding to GNU software, but
  I've just done some reading on perl modules.  The recommendation
  for what to say in perl modules is this:

  Copyright (c) 1997 Your Name. All rights reserved. This program is
  free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the
  same terms as Perl itself.

I suspect that essentially the same thing, only changing "perl" to gcc
  would be about the best way to go, unless you're hoping to make a
  profit on it. In that case you need to see a lawyer familiar with
  such things. Oh yeah, change "1997" to "1999", too. :)

  Keith Hearn
  khearn@legato.com
  (408) 263-2701 (home)
  (650) 842-9378 (work)