 Robotics / Handy Board / 5994
Re: GCC 2.8.1 for HC11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:47:48 GMT

The problem I have isn't programming the HC11. I picked that up with
  no problem by spending a day reading Motorola's reference manual
  (AKA the pink book - kindly provide free by Motorola via their web page).
  I've got a software background, and while my assembly experience is
  limited, it's just yet another language. And the pink book is fairly
  clear on what you have to write where to make the values you want go
  to the pins you want (or come from the pins you want).

My problem is figuring out how the HC11 is used in the HB. Sure, I
  know that after doing an A-D conversion I can read the input from
  one of the ADR* registers, but how (other than reading other
  people's code) am I supposed to figure out that I have to first write
  001 into the high three bits of 0x4000 if I want to read from analog
  ports 25-31?

Where can I find out what pins connect through which mux to which
  I/O connector on the HB?

And how on earth is anyone supposed to figure out how the LCD
  communications work without reading other people's code? I've read
  other people's code, I've read the pink book, I now understand how
  it works (yee gads! it's scary). But there's no way you'd ever figure
  it out just from reading HC11-specific info. And you'd have to have
  a degree in digital electronics to figure it out from the
  schematics.

That sort of this is very specific to the handyboard design, not to
  the HC11.

  Keith

In message <370CFC42.A977D06F@pacbell.net>, Gary Livick writes:
Keith,

I have a reference for you.  It is "Microcomputer Engineering," 2nd ed. by Ge
ne H.
Miller.  You can get it from one of the online book sellers, like amazon.com.
  It
is around $85 or so.

In this text is the whole range of things having to do with assembly language
programming the HC11.  It's detailed and I find it readable.

I agree with you that there is not a lot having to do with programming of ele
ments
deep within the HC11, but there is enough if you *really* dig.  I learned
everything I know, which admittedly isn't much, off the internet, in just a f
ew
texts, and by studying other people's code as you do.  Someday, I may even
understand some of it!

Gary Livick

Keith Hearn wrote:

I've taken a look at Chuck's LCD code, and I agree that it's the best
  I've come across.

I spent last weekend studying how to program the HB in assembly.
  There is a woeful lack of documentation for it. There is plenty of
  docs on programming in IC, but below that level, you end up looking
  at schematics.

I do have the Motorola reference books on the 6811, and have no
  problem figuring out how to program the SCI, SPI, the various
  handshake modes, et. al., but figuring out how they relate to the
  various handy board (and especially expansion board) connectors is
  really tough.

Is there something I've missed that describes how to do low level
  programming on the handyboard?

Just about everything I've figured out how to do came from reading
  other people's code.

So I've spent some hours lately reading the code other people have
  written for the handyboard and the miniboard. And I really like
  Chuck's libraries.

BTW, if there's nothing out there that describes low-level programming
  on the handyboard, I'll probably write up my notes on what I've
  learned and make them available so future people don't have to go
  through what I'm going through.

  Keith