 Robotics / Handy Board / 6008
Re: GCC 2.8.1 for HC11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:48:54 GMT

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Keith Hearn wrote:

Where can I find out what pins connect through which mux to which
  I/O connector on the HB?

You have to get good at reading schematics in this case, period.
Schematics are very hard to read at first, but it does get easier quickly.
If someone were to write up details on how to access various devices on
the Handyboard though (including small code snipets for examples), I'm
sure many people would benefit from it.

And how on earth is anyone supposed to figure out how the LCD
communications work without reading other people's code? I've read
other people's code, I've read the pink book, I now understand how
it works (yee gads! it's scary). But there's no way you'd ever figure
it out just from reading HC11-specific info. And you'd have to have
a degree in digital electronics to figure it out from the
schematics.

That sort of this is very specific to the handyboard design, not to
  the HC11.

Agreed.  Even the data books state that the mode the Handyboard's
processor is running in should not normally be used, and the method of
accessing the LCD is not immediately obvious just by looking at the
schematic. There are some specific things in the Handyboard design that
were done to save a chip or two but make the programming more difficult,
unless you already have something like Interactive C hiding all of these
details from you.

I must say I sympathize with your thoughts, as I've been down in the
details of the hardware lately, and I agree that the LCD stuff is scary.
The only reason it works at all is that the Handyboard is running in
Special Test mode, which allows you to change processor states at will.  I
lucked out in that Chuck McManis wrote some very nice code that I could
borrow from.  As it was I had to hook a scopemeter up to it to see where
my software had gone wrong.

I think they assumed people would typically be using Interactive C,
therefore the difficult parts of the hardware would be hidden.  I think
they were right:  I've seen very few posts from people coding in anything
except IC.  Handyboard & IC were designed as a learning platform and they
appear to have been very successful at that. I'm trying to twist it into
something entirely different, so I certainly can't blame the designers for
not thinking of MY application.

If you need any help in writing something up, I'd be glad to contribute.
Better make it quick though, my brain empties quickly so that I have spare
room for the next project (at least that's my excuse).  I'll probably know
a lot about the low-level stuff for a few weeks at best, then I'll rely on
the GCC Handyboard libraries to hide the details from me and continue on.

I've also got my eye on a 68332 board, so I may switch streams altogether
in the near future.

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
"Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U