 Robotics / Handy Board / 5948
Re: GCC 2.8.1 for HC11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 17:13:38 GMT

The HC11 back end for gcc-2.8.1 is working on Red Hat Linux 5.2 (and
probably most other Unix hosts), and last night I made the cross-assembler
and cross-linker work with it properly.  It compiled/assembled the GCC
Miniboard library last night without a hitch, creating the ".a" file.

I've generated a patch file to gcc-2.8.1 that puts the proper code into
the source tree, and generated a README that explains how to set it all
up.  I haven't had the time to put in the proper copyright notices and
such (probably GPL) for my changes, so I haven't posted it yet.

One thing that I haven't figured out how to do the "make install"  part of
the GCC build and have it install into it's own directory tree.  Following
the Coactive Aesthetics docs on how to do it didn't work for me with the
newer compiler.  It works great to install it in the default location
though, and then you can select which compiler to run using command line
arguments to GCC or environment variables (the native GCC is the default).

Is there anyone interested in testing out the Unix-flavor GCC/HC11
compiler and letting me know how it works for the Miniboard?  I want
confirmation that everything works before I start on the Handyboard
libraries.  My Miniboard is still without a CPU at this point.

I believe that all the pieces (libraries and crt0.S file) to get running
on the Miniboard or the Rug Warrior are readily available.  It's the
Handyboard libraries that are lacking yet.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
"Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U