 Robotics / 7066
    Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
   (...) Thanks, Indeed, my first attempt was to use a rotational sensor positioned with the axle at the pivot point of the lever arm and tried to datalog the angular movement using DACTA Control Lab. However, the resolution of the rotation sensor (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Johannes Keukelaar
   (...) <snipsnip> (...) <snipsnip> (...) That seems easily solved with some extra gears, or am I missing something? I mean, you could amplify the rotation of the axle by five (or three, or two) any number of times until the rotation sensor does pick (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
   (...) Thanks, It could possibly be done but I've not tried it. It would have made the air compressor tester more complicated than necessary. As you can see I'm really a minimalist. One of the design goals was to keep it simple yet fully functional. (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ralph Hempel
     The page on compressor comparisons is really informative. I'm honoured that you felt my design was worthy of testing. The reason I made it a two stroker was to "balance" the load on the driving system. Michael Powell's compressor tends to "lump" (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ian Sinclair
      Hello Ralph... I have built your original compressor from the photos you provide. I really like its form, rigidity and functionality. A great design. I plan to modify mine tonight into a full stroke design as some have suggested. All you need do is (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

          RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ralph Hempel
       (...) Gee, thanks! (...) Let me know how this works out. Strangely enough, I have never actually used the pump do do anything other than test my limit switch. Here's where I whine and complain about having a good, paying job and a house, and wife, (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

           Compressors, Valves, and Other Wishes —Ian Sinclair
        (...) Yes, this is still a difficult problem. The best solution I've seen is Linc's micro motor controlled valve at: Hmm, it seems to have moved again... now at: (URL) have built this valve control, but find the action between the gear and worm gear (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

            Re: Compressors, Valves, and Other Wishes —Ben Williamson
        (...) Agreed. I just built it too, and had problems with the micromotor shutting off and refusing to start again, even in the other direction. I also noticed that the center of the 24t gear isn't lined up with the pivot point of the valve, which (...) (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

            Re: Compressors, Valves, and Other Wishes —Ian Sinclair
        (...) Excellent Ben, I'll check those out... Off topic, but... Have you people seen the satire/black comedy American Beauty yet? I highly recommend it. Ben, perhaps Kevin Spacey's character inspired you to quit your job and lead a fuller life to (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

           Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Chris Phillips
       (...) Actually, I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I think there's an "easy" way to switch pneumatics under motor control. The rubber air hoses can be pinched shut with a reasonably small amount of force. It seems to me that you could use (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

           Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Chris Phillips
       (...) I just read some of the earlier messages in this thread. I think Michael Powell deserves a medal for having not one, but two of his Lego designs get mentioned independently of one another in a single discussion. (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

          RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Doug Carlson
       At 07:39 PM 9/29/99 GMT, you wrote: Hey folks, I tried that mod but the spacing was off for just adding the pulleys. so I rebuilt it a bit differently. It is larger now, and not quite so elegant. but it does accomplish the full stroke goal. I also (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

           RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ralph Hempel
        (...) design. The bent beams are still there though!. I really like the wierd looking angle of the pistons. I never thought of that. I toyed with the idea of a radial compressor with a central gear that drove four planetary gears and each having a (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

           RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Doug Carlson
       (...) Thanks! I'm not sure if "improved" is the right word though. In my mind it was a trade off between funtionality and aesthetics. The result just looks a little too blocky compared to where it atarted. The bent beams are a great idea. They hold (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Doug Carlson
      (...) pulleys... and a few extra parts. I was working from memory late at night and had the angled beams in upside down. So, please disregard my earlier post as it works great this way. :-) Another neat neat thing about this layout is that there is (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Hi, Ralph Your double-acting pump is still a cool design. I like the futuristic look. It was quite easy to build from the pictures. I had to substitute for the tall sloped brick but otherwise I followed the images faithfully. Of course, I'm (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Michael Gasperi
    c s soh <cssoh@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:37F21B8E.1C3CD6....com.sg... (...) What kind of maximum pressure (psi) can you get? I built a pressure sensor that I will publish very soon based on the Lucas sensors available from Digikey. I (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
   (...) Er, I didn't actually measure the pressure. I merely recorded the movement of the piston of the cylinder up to its maximum extent. -- C S Soh (URL) where air is power (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)