 Robotics / 25863
Re: NXT to NXT communication?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 04:25:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Tim Byrne wrote:
Steve, your remote is pretty cool.

It’s a great idea if you have more than one NXT.  I checked with my purchasing
manager (my wife) and I don’t think my request for capital expenditure will be
approved for more than one NXT this year.

Yes, that's a tough one...

With that in mind, has anyone
experimented with creating a remote using a computer peripheral (such as a
gamepad/joystick/mouse connected to a Bluetooth enabled PC) ?

What Bluetooth profiles does the NXT implement?  For example one standard
profile is Human Interface Device (HID).  It’d be interesting to create a
computer interface out of LEGO for my laptop, such as a NXT mouse or keyboard.
Or something like a NXT barcode scanner that types the number on a PC via a HID
interface (there are some commercial barcode scanners that work that way).

I've played around with a few ideas using bluetooth.  In addition to the
NXT->NXT remote, I wrote a program for my Bluetooth enabled PDA using eVB.  Jim
Kelly actually has a screenshot in his blog <http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/>
under "FLL - Posting 8".  It just acts as a simple remote control.

I also wrote a couple apps for my laptop.  One moves the robot based on the
movement of the mouse.  I used a Bluetooth mouse, and controlled the NXT
(through my PC).  The NXT does NOT support a HID interface, so it can not access
the BT mouse directly.

Another PC app is a remote just like the PDA remote.  That app also shows the
sensor values on the PC.

All that stuff was pretty easy, because LEGO gave us the exact command
specification.  I suspect that will all be available in their SDKs in August.

At this point, the NXT can not receive messages from a Bluetooth GPS (because
the NXT expects a very specific message format).  However, I do have suggestions
on the best way to implement that, once we get a hold of the Open Source
firmware...  :)

Steve