 Robotics / 25849
Re: NXT to NXT communication?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 17:49:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

The NXT to NXT communication works very well, and is easy to use.  Here's some
video of an NXT controller for an NXT robot...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Robots/NXT/nxtremotecontrol.wmv

Neat!  You used the NXT motors as inputs on the remote control?  How stiff are
they when you do that?

The motors offer little resistance when used this way.  However, there's
something else which I think is kind of cool.  If you look close, when I let go
of the controller, the paddles return to the middle, and the car stops.  Using
just one block at the start of the program, I set the motor to "stay there" so
when you push the paddle forward, it springs back.

The steering wheel does the same.  Actually, in the latest version of my
program, when you let go of the steering wheel, the car's wheels straighten out.
The more you turn it, the more the wheels turn.

Also, I noticed at one point you scooted the controller closer to the car.  Was
that because it had lost the signal?  What is the effective range, anyway?

NO.  I moved the controller so it could be seen better by the camera.  The
Bluetooth spec says it will work within 10 meters.  (If you really want to know,
the NXT is a Class 2 Bluetooth device)

I also wonder what happens when you have more than two NXT bricks in the area.
How do you sort out signals from multiple sources?

This is all done with the Bluetooth stuff.  We don't need to worry about
interference, or error checking.  I assume messages could be lost, but I've not
had a problem with that.

Once two NXTs are "paired" together, they can communicate back and forth, in a
noisy room.  At the FLL World Festival in Atlanta, I searched for Bluetooth
devices a couple times, and found MANY in range, but never had a problem with
interference.

Brian said:
First, all the incoming messages come in over one channel (connection [0]; connections [1], [2], and [3] are for outgoing messages),

This is not exactly true.  All connections are bi-directional.  You can send and
receive over each connection.

However, (almost like Brian said) Connections 1,2,&3 are outgoing connections.
That's like if this NXT originates a phone call.  And, it has one incoming
connection (connection 0).

So, when you send a message, you specify the "connection" and the "mailbox" the
message is going to.

Clear as mud?

Steve