 Robotics / 19926
Re: A Generic Idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 22:17:47 GMT

Andrew J. Huang wrote:

Regarding PDAs and cell phones: even those with
cameras do not have the CPU power to do image
analysis.

My aging Agenda PDA does integer work at about the speed of
a 100MHz Pentium.  Floating point performance is terrifyingly
slow though.

Since the Agenda is a couple of years old now, I'd expect
PDA's to be two or three times faster by now - so we're
probably looking at comparable INTEGER performance to a
266MHz Pentium.

They are only really capable of storing
the data after the hardware-based compression
algorithms have reduced the pixels to a manageable
lump.  The analysis needed to detect motion or
recognize objects is way beyond their
capabilities.  PDAs have roughly the CPU power of
a 1990s PC - think back to 1990 and recall what
kind of graphical manipulation  you could do
then - it wasn't much and it entirely consumed
your CPU while it took 30s to think about it.

I don't think it's that bad - providing you either
find a PDA with hardware floating point - or implement
your image processing in integer math..

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net