 Robotics / 19921
Re: A Generic Idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:57:27 GMT

Speaking of PDAs, specifically Pocket PC's, the HP iPAC 5450 has Consumer
IR, will that automatically take care of the comm thing with the RCX? Then I
guess that would be ideal, tho expensive ($700 in Sweden).

But that's provided there is a programming environment for Windows Pocket
PC. I guess it's the standard, but is it open? Anyone know any languages
that give access to the IR port?

I'm ignoring WIFI (wireless LANs) because even if you have a LAN card in the
robot, how is the RCX going to use it? I'm pretty sure the IR used for the
LAN is quite incompatible with the RCX's IR.

1) So, does anyone have a pointer to a minimum cost Pocket PC that would
communicate with the RCX? That is, either with 1 or 2 USB ports, or with CIR
compatible with the RCX?

And about cameras, the Lego cam will of course not be compatible with
Windows Pocket PC.

2) So is there a minimum cost PDA with CIR and camera? Or do you know the
perfect low-cost webcam for this, for example IR connected?

Thankful for any help on this since I've just begun looking at these types
of equipment.