 Robotics / 19903
Re: A Generic Idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:33:45 GMT

Thanks for all the modem input guys, but I think you're getting too
ambitious! The communication I was thinking of would consist of maybe
dialling+10 button presses on the cel phone. The other end would be waiting
for these combinations, just like an automated answering machine's numbered
options (i.e. "press 1 for activating laser, 2 to pick a flower,... :DD)

Transferring of pictures would need to be celphone-to-celphone (or hacking
the celphone picture data format and receiving it with a regular modem).

Getting sound across would simply mean to sample it at the other end (i.e.,
connecting the modem's voice line to the input of your sound card.)

I think it was Andy who wrote about the wireless camera. Thanks. For images,
this seems to be the best solution, didn't know someone had interfaced one
to the RCX. The only problem I see with that is the range (celphone spans
the world). With celphone-to-celphone, the robot could simply show you what
it sees and present the decisions it has in mind. You could then teach it by
telling him what action to associate with what object.

It's the "constant link idea" (regardless of where the robot is), that I'm
hooked on.