 Robotics / 19946
Re: A Generic Idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 22:38:04 GMT

Peter Newman wrote:
To get a PDA to interface to RCX is easy, i am right in thinking that TV
remote is the same freqency etc as RCX?

Yes - I can control the RCX from my SONY Television remote (which is
a programmable one) by 'teaching' it key commands from the Lego Remote - so
if your PDA can act like a learning remote - it can drive the RCX and Scout
bricks.

If so go to pdawin.com and get
TVRemote http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html i use version 3.1 which can
learn commands, and we can display this on the PC and control from PC.
Simple! ;)

Yep - but some PDA's don't have the right kind of IR port - some have
ONLY an irDA port - and no CIR (which is the kind that TV's and RCX's use).

I've heard of people having some success with dirty low-level trickery and
the irDA port - but I'm not sure how good that turns out to be.

Also you could add a wifi card and PC Card expansion jacket and do control
wirelessly not via USB. Please also not control here could be direct
control, or your programme clicking screen like a macro.

Yes.

A PDA is (IMHO) the natural way to go in getting better on-board
intelligence and higher speed communications from a *small* robot.

Whether you can kludge together some kind of motor/sensor driver
for your PDA - or whether the RCX takes on that role is an open
question.  Either will work - I think it just depends on what you
want to tinker with!
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net