 Robotics / 19444
Re: Lego Technic: R.I.P. ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:25:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> writes:
Allan Bedford wrote:

Not to nitpick, but remember that Meccano and Erector were two distinct and
different companies.  The latter being somewhat of a clone of the first.

Really?!  I always thought the Meccano company made both sets - simply
*calling* them 'Erector' in the USA and 'Meccano' in the UK.

Meccano was started in England by Hornsby... Erector followed years later in
the U.S.  For many years they were each other's competition.

I have both Meccano (carefully saved since I was a kid) - and Erector
sets purchased in the USA several years ago.  The two systems aren't
just similar, they are IDENTICAL - many of the quirks of the parts set
are faithfully reproduced in both sets (even though they were
purchased 35 years apart!)...right down to the weird square nuts and
the wrench that comes with them.

If you look at the bottom of that 3-year-old posting I mentioned, you'll
note that the eventual outcome of Meccano was that it was bought by Erector.
(Which in my mind is like LEGO being bought by MegaBlocks.... but that's
another thread).  So, it is possible that in the last few years there may
have been 'Meccano' style pieces that were stamped with the Erector name. I
will confirm with my dad, who is a genuine Meccanoman.

The problem with large-scale Meccano/Erector is that you can generate
some seriously powerful machines in solid metal...kids could REALLY
hurt themselves....you can build Technics machines that'll do you some
serious damage too - but it's a lot easier to do that with Meccano.

True.

I like Lego much more - the parts don't rust - and the paint doesn't
rub off!

I do too.  :)

I never was bitten by the Meccano bug, despite growing up surrounded by it.

The larger sets (up to the grand #10) were indeed something to lust after.
Having personally seen #10's packaged in their wooden 4-drawer cabinets, I
can assure you that even fans of plastic bricks would appreciate the majesty
of a building system that comes wrapped so handsomely.

Yes - it was a wonder to behold. (I thought the large sets had LOW
numbers and the small ones had the larger numbers - but I'm sure
you're right).

I can confirm 100% that the #10 set was the grand daddy of them all.

As well, some of the small sets also had letters after them.  There was the
1 set, but also a 1a.

Amongst my circle of friends, it was always our goal to have a larger
numbered set than anyone else.  The #10 set was almost mythalogical -
nobody had seen one, the largest any of us had was at least three
below that...but there was always a picture of it in the build
instructions of the lesser sets.

If anyone's interested, I can either try to find some pics on the web, or
take some digital pics of one and post them.

There was also something known as a 'Dealer Cabinet'.  This was the 6 drawer
monster found in toy and hobby shops which held bulk parts which could be
bought by customers.  Need a single 12" angle girder to complete a project?
No problem, you could buy just that.  Honest.

Meccano mechanics combined with modern motors and electronics would be
an awesome thing!

Even some of the older motors would knock your socks off with their power
and performance.  However, Meccanomen like my dad also salvage things like
sewing maching motors (for speed and longevity) and power window motors from
cars (for power and torque).

My dad also has some old aftermarket compatible motors that incorporate a
built-in 6 speed manual switching gearbox.  Power or speed... same motor.

As well, Meccano did have 'electric' kits and lighting kits years and years
ago.  There was some interesting stuff.

Is it that sales of 'generic' sets started to fall alarmingly - so the
company panics and starts making themed sets in order to keep business
alive? .... Or is it that they thought they could make more money with
themed sets and that's causing the demise of the 'generic' parts
business?

I'm not sure, but it's a good question.  My theory for a couple years has
been.... why can't we have both?  Sure, sell lots and lots and lots of
Bionicle and Galidor.  If they make the money then great!  But then use the
resources to further interest in and development of the more educational
side of the toy.  LEGO _is_ educational, whether they want to admit it or
not.  :)

Regards,
Allan B.