 Robotics / 19434
Re: Lego Technic: R.I.P. ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:28:49 GMT

Marco Correia wrote:

LEGO should turn to it's roots and expand the *ORIGINAL* LEGO philosophy
(modularity, "infinite" expandability) to today's electronic hardware. The
RCX was (is?) a good *START* (not a good *END*). RCX 3.0 should evolve to
something even more capable and flexible.

I think we all agree on that point - a more modular computer with as
few limits on expandability as the technology can manage.  RCX is OK -
but you immediately run into three problems:

   1) Not enough motor and sensor ports.  No matter how many they added
      onto the box, it would never have been enough.  It needs to be
      expandable in a bus-like structure.

   2) The brick is too big.  That's largely because of (1) - putting those
      six ports, plus the IR plus the (largely useless) LCD control
      panel - and all of those batteries.  If the system were modular,
      the power supply could be separate and you wouldn't have to
      design Lego-scale robots around a honking great solid lump in the
      middle.

   3) Communications to the outside world and between RCX's could have
      been better.

The technology of 2002 can do *MUCH* better.

I think LEGO stopped making tools for kids (and adults) to learn and dream
and started beeing simply another average toy factory with it's (cumbersome)
action figures, racing cars... bah.

Yep.

LEGO should explain why they think that someone in it's right mind will
prefer a blocky LEGO action figure instead of a perfectly articulated and
anatomic replica toy of a Action-Man or whatever ?

The deal here is that you don't sell only to kids - you sell to their
parents.  Parents remember Lego as being the infinitely flexible
learning tool it once was - and without thinking too much about it,
they just assume that a "Lego Action Figure" is obviously much better
for their child's development than an ActionMan/GI-Joe kind of a
thing...Lego make another sale of a Bionicle and think this is the
way to go.

Lego can probably trade on *that* reputation for a good few years yet
- but they'll come horribly unstuck when THIS generation of kid grows
up and associates the LEGO name with crappy plastic toys like
Bionicles.  Once LEGO lose their reputation, they are doomed.

I like LEGO. The true, "old" LEGO. The flexible, expandable, not juniorized
LEGO.

Yep...but they could design "new" Lego with all the wizz-bang
electronics to the same principles and wind up with something just
as relevent to modern kids as "our" Lego was to
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net