 Robotics / 19423
Re: Lego Technic: R.I.P. ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:25:43 GMT

Even if Lego withdrew 50% of Technic parts, Technic would still be a richer
"medium" to work in than Knex IMHO.

I'm not sure why people are so worried about Technic going away. The name is
obviously obsolete - I think it's a poor name in the current toy wars
climate anyhow, where technical awareness isn't a quality which is approved
of. (I don't want to get into the "dumb is cool" argument here - if my
observation is off base, I applogise right here and now). But Technic parts
have been subsumed into Lego in general and I think sets like 8466 indicate
that they are still designing sets around large proportions of technical
type parts - as opposed to mere "bricks". (Sorry if I offend lovers of 2x4
by such a statement ;).

What saddens me is the cost of 8466. It's just too high for the average toy
buyer (parent/relation) to buy for the average kid. For >$100, you expect
R/C and all sorts of electronic wizardy these days. So the sets sit on the
shelves - at least in my local TRU anyhow. If Lego take notice of that,
they'd stop developing sets like this, and I couldn't blame them Why develop
expensive technical sets that just collect dust?

What does concern me is the lack of obvious interest in Mindstorms. I
haven't seen any flurries on the internet about Spybotics like there was for
Mindstorms. And you still can't buy Mindstorms style connecting wires
through "normal" channels!!!! I see no reason to believe that TLC is really
behind Mindstorms.

I hope I'm wrong.

JB

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix writes:
The day Technic gets scratched off the board is the day I take LEGO out of
my vocabulary and start collecting Knex...

-Rob "my 200,000+ piece collection will be for sale" Hendrix