 Robotics / 19428
Re: Lego Technic: R.I.P. ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:15:13 GMT

"John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> wrote in message
news:H5KFuv.27n@lugnet.com...
What saddens me is the cost of 8466. It's just too high for the average • toy
buyer (parent/relation) to buy for the average kid. For >$100, you expect
R/C and all sorts of electronic wizardy these days.

I think it is clear they blew the price point on this set.  I think the 50%
off price that was on SAH for awhile (still?) is a sign that they are aware
that the original price was off the mark.  So the question they naturally
have is how to determine what it should have been.  Thus the SAH test.  If a
lot of them sold at that price, and few at the high price, then they have a
couple points on the curve.  But notice the SAH price never made it to TRU.

So the sets sit on the
shelves - at least in my local TRU anyhow. If Lego take notice of that,
they'd stop developing sets like this, and I couldn't blame them Why • develop
expensive technical sets that just collect dust?

The real question is whether the "electronic wizardry" sets sell any better.
Does the RC car fly off shelves?  I haven't even seen it in a store.

What does concern me is the lack of obvious interest in Mindstorms. I
haven't seen any flurries on the internet about Spybotics like there was • for
Mindstorms. And you still can't buy Mindstorms style connecting wires
through "normal" channels!!!! I see no reason to believe that TLC is • really
behind Mindstorms.

Mindstorms (RCX) was a breakthrough.  Coupled with the company's relative
encouragement of hacking, the price point was a sensation.  For us.  I don't
think anything will match that feeling we all had in 1998.  I am sure the
argument in Billund is that they can sell a whack of a lot more Spybotics
than Mindstorms II, and those arguments won for 2002.  But I strongly
suspect and hope that we are going to see Mindstorms II next year.

--Jack Gregory