 Robotics / 19437
Re: Lego Technic: R.I.P. ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:24:29 GMT

John Barnes wrote:
I recall that construction toys (like Meccano or Lego et al.) of some years
ago were not based around specific models as they are today, but based
around a certain collection of parts.

Yes - I always remember looking at the 'Number 1' Meccano set (AKA
'Erector set') that came in a massive wooden trunk with layers and
layers of felt-lined trays to hold the parts.  It was more like a
piece of Victorian furniture than a kids toy.  They always had
sets available up to truly insane sizes and prices.  I get the
impression that the larger ones were just there to give kids something
to lust after!  The sets were just numbered as a function of size -
there was no theme to them at all.

Books were provided to encourage a
certain level of initial building experience mainly to show what the
different bits and pieces could be used for. The emphasis, however, was on
viewing the toy as a collection of parts rather than a "model kit" with the
intent that the users imagination and creativity could be let loose.

Yep.

My opinion is that once companies like Meccano and Lego caved in to the
model oriented sets rather than piece parts sets, the rot was started.

Yes - and it's getting worse.  Movie-themed sets have such a short
lifetime as 'trendy toys'...at least castles and trains are here to
stay. Just when you thought they'd hit an all-time-low with
RoboRiders, we get Bionicles - and when we'd finished reeling from
that, the truly *USELESS* Galidor sets appear. (Since when did
unplugging one Lego brick and plugging another in it's place need to
be called "Glinching"?)  Even my 11 year old kid finds these too
embarrasing to own - and he's right in their demographic.

As noted in this thread and others, there seems to be a distinct lack of
encouragment for creative use of Lego parts which is a shame, because what
Lego has evolved into in recent years is a truely remarkable medium in which
an amazingly diverse group of enthusiasts with interests ranging from
castles to trains to robotics to ... can all use the same basic system to
forge their creations. I think this flexibility is, so far, unparalled.

I think that the bottom line here is that parents don't spend enough
time playing with their kids - if they did then they'd soon realise
why Mindstorms is good and Galidor aint.
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net