 Robotics / 19429
RE: Lego Technic: R.I.P. ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:28:45 GMT

Just like the giant, misshapen plates and bricks that have invaded the
traditional LEGO kits, the Spybotics brain/sensor/actuator
blob is a pox upon all that Mindstorms seemed at first to represent:
flexible, reconfigurable robotics. I thought LEGO would have learned a
lesson with their abysmal MicroScout, but evidently not.

Only if the lesson learned was:
"hmmm... ok, let's see what happens if we put a few more basic sensors,
another motor, some leds, some more memory and maybe a PC link... just in
case someone might want to actually program these little things."

:(

...since I saw my son playing with a cheap bot with only 2 motors *BUT* with
double sonar sensors (that work) and double (proper)
ir-(linetracking)-sensors, I look to my RCX and wish it had more type of
sensors to use.

I was trying not to buy custom made sensors (don't ask why...) but I don't
have much choice, given the fact that LEGO doesn't take care of the hobby
they've created, and since they wish to give that branch of business to
third-parties (most of them, AFOL's also).

LEGO should turn to it's roots and expand the *ORIGINAL* LEGO philosophy
(modularity, "infinite" expandability) to today's electronic hardware. The
RCX was (is?) a good *START* (not a good *END*). RCX 3.0 should evolve to
something even more capable and flexible.

I think LEGO stopped making tools for kids (and adults) to learn and dream
and started beeing simply another average toy factory with it's (cumbersome)
action figures, racing cars... bah.

LEGO should explain why they think that someone in it's right mind will
prefer a blocky LEGO action figure instead of a perfectly articulated and
anatomic replica toy of a Action-Man or whatever ?
Why buy a "blocky" racing car with so few pieces that I won't customize
because the design is so optimized by LEGO designers to use exactly only
those pieces ? nah... better buy a cheaper but truer replica of existing
known racing cars to play with (since I won't ever modify it).

If I want action figures, I'll buy from toy makers who do this for a living
for years like Concentra/Mattel or those made in China, or if I want almost
pre-made racing cars to play, I'll buy Matchbox or MicroMachines or whatever
(I don't really know the names of these makers because I'm not really
interested in these kind of toys...).

I like LEGO. The true, "old" LEGO. The flexible, expandable, not juniorized
LEGO.

After my dark-ages, I began to like LEGO again when I saw the direction I
thought they were heading, hoping they would make to Electronics and
Robotics what they had made to my interests in Town/ground, water or air
Vehicles/House Building, and Design, that I had when I was a kid.

mc.

(sorry for my English... it's not my first language... and I wrote this in a
hurry :)