 Robotics / 19441
Re: Lego Technic: R.I.P. ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 03:13:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> writes:
John Barnes wrote:
I recall that construction toys (like Meccano or Lego et al.) of some years
ago were not based around specific models as they are today, but based
around a certain collection of parts.

Yes - I always remember looking at the 'Number 1' Meccano set (AKA
'Erector set')

Not to nitpick, but remember that Meccano and Erector were two distinct and
different companies.  The latter being somewhat of a clone of the first.

That said, and in the context of this thread, there are a number of lessons
the LEGO company could learn from the history of the Meccano company.  I
summarized some of it in a posting three years ago:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=2431

While some of my post focuses on the differences (and similarities) between
Meccano and Erector, it also highlights where the Meccano company may have
gone wrong.

that came in a massive wooden trunk with layers and
layers of felt-lined trays to hold the parts.  It was more like a
piece of Victorian furniture than a kids toy.  They always had
sets available up to truly insane sizes and prices.  I get the
impression that the larger ones were just there to give kids something
to lust after!  The sets were just numbered as a function of size -
there was no theme to them at all.

The larger sets (up to the grand #10) were indeed something to lust after.
Having personally seen #10's packaged in their wooden 4-drawer cabinets, I
can assure you that even fans of plastic bricks would appreciate the majesty
of a building system that comes wrapped so handsomely.

Like LEGO, Meccano can be built on two different levels... you can simply
follow some of the old instruction books and turn out neat little models.
Or, in the hands of an adult with a sizable collection, you can turn out
some of the massive sculptures and/or machines that we sometimes see from
adult LEGO fans.  Some of the gearing and mechanisms possible with Meccano
would make a LEGO Mindstorms fan drool.  :)

Books were provided to encourage a
certain level of initial building experience mainly to show what the
different bits and pieces could be used for. The emphasis, however, was on
viewing the toy as a collection of parts rather than a "model kit" with the
intent that the users imagination and creativity could be let loose.

Yep.

Until the later years... when they focused much more on themed sets.  It was
all downhill from there.  :(

Regards,
Allan B.