 Robotics / 18461
RE: Spybotics - A great disappointment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:43:34 GMT

-----Original Message-----> Of Dave Baum
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 2:50 AM

It is programmed using visible light, but the commands are very
different from CodePilot/MicroScout.  The protocol itself is just
4800bps turned into light.  The packets have a simple format
(preable, data bytes, checksum).  The commands in the packets are
identical to RCX commands (minus a few commands that aren't
supported, plus a few new ones).

So, in theory, comms between CyberMaster/RCX/Scout and Spybotics is
possible,
provided that a fiber optic is used and an emulator is coded, although,
at 4800bps I don't know if that's feasible with standard firmware and NQC.

hmmm... doesn't the RIS 2.0 USB IR-Tower has a LED for VLL output ?
Maybe it could be used in that mode.
maybe.  It would need input too, and I don't know if enough

INPUT ? Oops, I was forgetting that !
So, the Spybotics unit has light output too ?
Ok, so two fiber optic are need then :) for theoretical pBrick comms
with Spybotics.

light could get through that dark plastic.  Even so, you'd need some way
of getting the tower really close to Spybotics (or use fiber optic).

Yes, like I would expect using that with a MicroScout, but since
there's also the need for INPUT, this isn't a possible solution
anymore for users with the RIS 2.0 USB IR-Tower, without RS-232 port.

What is the purpose of the thing that looks like a IR-rc (I
think someone also called it a Beacon) ?
You can use that to interact with the Spybotics brick.
You can manually control the motors or send it messages.

So there's message capability, great.

I think there are also some modes where it broadcasts a signal
and the Spybotics can detect where it is.

Through the inbuilt LightSensor, right ?
Is the LightSensor used for the visible light comms with the PC
or is there a special light input/output for that ?

And also, is there a way to control more than one unit at
the same time ? i.e. Can I control the 4 units independently,
The spybotics have IDs and are intended to be used in groups, but I
haven't experimented with this yet.

Hmmm... well, but the use of IDs is less usefull when there's
no "medium/long range" comms, like we have with the infra-red
controlled pBricks (including MANAS).

The units can be used in groups, but can't *interact* with each
other using "medium/long range" comms, right ?

From what you said, I understand all possible comms are done at "close
range" to the point of physical (optical) contact with visible light.

I still haven't seen a picture where the visible light input/output is done
on a Spybotics unit.
Would it be possible to link two Spybotics using two crossed fiber optic for
message exchange ?

...sorry for all these questions :/

I know I'll have to buy a unit eventually (well, at least one), and sort all
these questions myself, like I did with the VLLbricks, but, since there are
already Spybotics owners here, one can always try to get these answers more
sooner than later ;)

There might be no disappointment after all, eh :)

So, at home tonight, I'll download the "newer" RIS 2.0 SDK (I think I still
have the beta version, or something) and NQC 2.5 a1 and hopefully figure out
what can be done with a Spybotics pBrick.

Thxs for all this info (and for NQC) Dave !

mc.

PS: After writing this msg, I checked Dave's NQC 2.5 a1 msg
and saw the reference to the "six LEDs" and the SetLED() cmd.
So, this is how the unit does Light output :)