 Robotics / 18454
Re: Spybotics - A great disappointment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 02:49:48 GMT

In article <003101c23167$bbed7890$610b010a@soporcel.pt>,
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Marco Correia) wrote:

So, a bit like MicroScout, it's programmed through the inbuilt LightSensor,
right ?

Can you see if it uses a VLL protocol like CodePilot/MicroScout ?
...that way, any Scout/RCX/CyberMaster could download VLL snipets to it.

It is programmed using visible light, but the commands are very
different from CodePilot/MicroScout.  The protocol itself is just
4800bps NRZ turned into light.  The packets have a simple format
(preable, data bytes, checksum).  The commands in the packets are
identical to RCX commands (minus a few commands that aren't supported,
plus a few new ones).

One important thing, can the RUN/EXECUTE command be sent through the cable
(unlike CodePilot/MicroScout) or the only way is by pressing a button on the
unit, every time we want to run a program ?

Yes.  You can do this (use nqc 2.5 a1, and type "nqc -run" for example).

If yes (and assuming it's using a VLL protocol or any other that we can
decode), the Spybotics unit could be a smarter slave to the RCX than the
MANAS unit.

Much smarter.  I'd put it between Scout and RCX 2.0, closer to RCX 2.0.

hmmm... doesn't the RIS 2.0 USB IR-Tower has a LED for VLL output ?
Maybe it could be used in that mode.

maybe.  It would need input too, and I don't know if enough light could
get through that dark plastic.  Even so, you'd need some way of getting
the tower really close to Spybotics (or use fiber optic).

What is the purpose of the thing that looks like a IR-rc (I think someone
also called it a Beacon) ?
It looks like it has 4 or 5 buttons and a lever or something ?
Could anyone with a Spybotics set shed some light on that object ? :)

You can use that to interact with the Spybotics brick.  You can manually
control the motors or send it messages.  I think there are also some
modes where it broadcasts a signal and the Spybotics can detect where it
is.

And also, is there a way to control mode than one unit at the same time ?
i.e. Can I control the 4 units independently, like the MANAS, where each has
an ID out of possible three (it's like 3 IR channels).

The spybotics have IDs and are intended to be used in groups, but I
haven't experimented with this yet.

Dave