 Robotics / 18503
RE: Spybotics - A great disappointment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:01:13 GMT

Ask them, but don't forget to play with the product and watch some kids
playing with it.

Cheers, Ralph

<snip>

But when it was done, boy was it *fun*.  I ran through all the programs for
one spybot a few times, and basically rearranged my living room to make
obstacles...  For me it was like playing a video game, but it was live and
in my living room floor.

Thank goodness a grownup (and I use the term loosely) "gets" the
Spybots.

When I watched the kids playing, I got the sense that LEGO had hit the
mark because it gently guides kids to imagining they are the agent. Even
better, they get to imagine that their room is a secret lab somewhere
in South America, or the Arctic....

The programming interface that comes on the CD isn't too bad either. You
have to put yourself in a 9 or 10 year old's shoes and limit the programming
options for that capability.

I'll be posting more on this as I get other info.

Cheers, Ralph