 Robotics / 18501
Re: Spybotics - A great disappointment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:34:07 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel writes:

<snip>

Ask them, but don't forget to play with the product and watch some kids
playing with it.

Cheers, Ralph

So Gigamesh is waiting on my doorstep last night when I get home from work.

Took me a bit to install the software (~600 meg full install), then putting
the thing together via instructions on my computer screen (was probably the
most annoying part, I like spreading the pieces all over the floor and
sitting in the middle, and for Big G (for that's what I'm calling Gigamesh
now) I had to keep everything on my desk by the computer--thankfully there
wasn't *lots* of pieces) took a bit as well--all those tires...

But when it was done, boy was it *fun*.  I ran through all the programs for
one spybot a few times, and basically rearranged my living room to make
obstacles...  For me it was like playing a video game, but it was live and
in my living room floor.

Beyond the 'cuteness' of the 'bot/video game playing, when Dave gets the
NQC/RCX thing worked out, this spybot will be a definite addition to my
Mindstorms 'bots--I mean I can foresee, hopefully, these spybots
transmitting unique codes back to the RCX, and vice versa, so that the RCX
can distinguish between 2 or more spybots, thus having the capability to
drive all motors independantly, and know which spybot is sending which
sensor reading.

One brain (RCX), and many remote appendages relaying info (spybot).
Potentially it could be an easier system to set up as opposed to multi-RCX,
where you have to program each RCX independantly.  I dunno, that's for the
'big boys' to work out. I'm just going to have fun with the scenarios, and
order me another one!

I had a brief look at the programming interface for Big G, and I'll probably
dabble with it this weekend.

BTW, the Gigamesh has a fantastic capability to climb over (small)
obstacles.  My fellow worker is driving the Gigamesh across my desk, where
it climbed over the keyboards, mice, powerbars and even my laptop!

For $60AMR, I'm pleased!  Big G is a good one.  Now I get the one with the
tracks!

(and I'm looking forward to Dave's 'hacking' ;) )

Dave K.